Monday 25 February 2013

My first candles!

This weekend I'd finally gotten my hands on the thermometer I'd been waiting for.  It was the last thing I was waiting for, so I was VERY excited to get started on my first candles.

I pretty much followed the instructions I was given with the kit, melting the wax to about 153F, then adding my color, which in this case was red.  I mixed this in thoroughly, then removed my wax from the heat.  After stirring and cooling a bit I then added my scent, apple.  Stirring this thoroughly for about 2 minutes, I poured my wax straight into my prepared & heated votive molds.




After waiting for about 2 hours, I then reheated my leftover wax to a bit higher than 153F and then did my second pour of the wax.


After waiting another few hours and feeling my candles were cool to the touch, I then removed them from the molds, and hurray they look great!  The bottoms were a bit rough where I'd removed the wick pins, but placing the candle bottoms on a hot tray soon smoothed those out.  I then put in the wicks, heating the sustainers a bit over a flame, then pushing them with a pencil nice and firm against the bottom of my candle, melting it to the bottom of the candle.

And that's it, my very first candles! They look pretty good for a first attempt and I'm very pleased with how they smell.  Only downside being that I really meant these candles to turn out red, when in fact they ended up pink. I'll have to use more color next time!















No comments:

Post a Comment