Wednesday 5 June 2013

I'm back and ready to go!

After two weeks away and a few days to let the post-holiday fog clear, I'm back and ready to get back to it.  I started off today by attempting to make another hurricane candle.  To see the process I followed, see my post regarding my first hurricane candle attempt here.

I did very little different to the original process, the only difference being that I used wild flowers & the hurricane mold insert to keep the flowers in place while the wax set.  Overall I'm reasonably pleased with the results, though I think maybe using more flowers might've been nice, placing the flowers lower in the mold so they weren't so close to the top of the hurricane, and perhaps not to fill the mold up quite so high. Other than that, not bad at all!

The process for using the insert is as follows:

1) place the insert into the middle of the hurricane mold.

2) insert the flowers between the insert & the hurricane mold. I needed to take more care with this process so will remember that next time. Also make sure that your items you're placing aren't too close to the top of the hurricane ( like mine are, oops ) as this makes it difficult to keep the flowers in the wax. Don't want these flowers sticking out of the top and becoming a fire hazard.

3) pour the hot melted wax into the insert tube (NOT the hurricane mold directly, it's too small a gap and you don't want to move your flowers about). Make sure the wax covers the stuff you've placed inside.

I added a luminary candle & a tealight candle in the photo to represent the size of the hurricane, as I got a few criticisms that the size of the hurricane was hard to judge in a photo.

I'll keep this one around for a bit longer, then remelt it and try again. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment