Monday 30 September 2013

As Halloween approaches...

Since my first craft fayre is going to be near Halloween, I thought that it might be sort of fun to create a Halloween-themed luminary to fit the occasion.  Now I've carved plenty of pumpkins growing up in the states before moving here to the UK, and even done a few here, but I've never carved a luminary before so wasn't quite sure how to approach it.

I wanted to begin this whole idea by creating a "mock up" of what I had in mind.  I did not color the wax I used for this luminary on purpose, as I didn't want to create a lot of wax that I couldn't use for any other purpose if nobody liked the idea.  I'll choose a nice rich orange on the final product.  Anyway, I started by creating a template on paper, so I could use that to trace an outline of what I wanted to carve on the luminary itself.  Then, using my heat gun, I heated up a sharp crafting knife to carve out the luminary. I had to reheat the knife quite a lot to accomplish this.  I feel if I'd taken more time at it, I might have gotten a cleaner result, but as a starting point I thought it wasn't too bad at all.

Responses so far have been pretty positive, but still trying to get a feel as to whether people like the idea or not. So if you can, either stop by my Facebook page or the Craft Forum where I've also posted, to give me feedback on what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment