Tuesday 9 April 2013

Latest creation

I had a bit of inspiration strike me yesterday while I was in town for a regular dentist appointment.  I'd hopped over to Wilkinsons after the appointment and was browsing the cooking department and found some jam/chutney/pickling jars on the shelf.  Immediately had my eye drawn to a little classic Kilner jar, not exactly round but not square either, but just the right size of candle jar I was looking for.  I really didn't want to look at larger jars due to the complications with wicking such large soy wax jars.

Anyway I took it home and immediately set to making a candle out of it, using one of the many new wicks that I bought from CandleShack (No, not the US company but a scottish based company.) In this instance I used their  CL 14 wick, I was immediately impressed by the rigidity of the wick so I have high hopes.

I used 155g of soy XL wax and 15g of Scent Perfique's Mandarin, Grapefruit & Lime scent. I also used my altered temp set of 80/78/65 to pour into this preheated jar and got the opportunity to  use my new glue gun to stick the sustainer of the wick to the bottom of the jar, it worked great!  I also used some old fabric I had lying around to wrap snug around the jar to keep it nice and toasty in addition to using a bowl over the top & the towels...perhaps I went a bit overboard really, but our kitchen is still quite chilly and I didn't want this to set too quickly.

It looks a bit goofy but it really did seem to work

I feel like I really got the color right this time round, using a blend of red and orange soy dye chips

Final product, it smells so good! Can't wait to test it out.

I'll have to let this cure for about 5 days before I'll think about testing it, but I hope it goes well.




No comments:

Post a Comment