Wednesday 3 April 2013

New equipment & another candle

Starting to have some of my orders for supplies trickle in now, with my paraffin wax & PE22 showing up, along with my hot glue gun (minus glue, still waiting for that) and my porridger to use as a double boiler.

My porridger, really works great!

As my pans showed up today I thought I'd give it another go at getting my red dye chips to dissolve properly.  I've been assured that I can take my soy candle wax up to 90C without adverse affects as long as I don't keep it there very long.  Here's the process I followed:

I put my wax in the top pan of my double boiler and heated that up as normal. I've never used a metal pot to heat up wax so watched in shock as it heated up so fast!  I placed my red dye chips in around 80-85C, and to my amazement melted in straightaway!  My revelation of the day: don't use my pyrex jug with red dye chips as the metal works great!  Anyway once the wax reached 90C, I poured my wax straight into my preheated pyrex jug to cool down the wax from 90 pretty quickly.  Once the temp reached 78 or so I added fragrance and stirred on and off for a minute or two.  Once the wax reached 65 I poured into my preheated glass.

Overall it seemed to work great, the candle is nearly as red as I'd like (still a bit pink) and smells amazing with the Wild Berry scent from Sensory Perfection.

cooling - I placed this immediately after the photo under a plastic mixing bowl and covered it with towels to allow it to cool slowly.

final result, not quite red enough but headed in the right direction, and best of all, no red bits floating in the wax, success!


No comments:

Post a Comment