Thursday 18 April 2013

Luminary journey of learning continues

All right, overdue for a bit of an update.  I've done 2 lots of luminaries since I did the last update, and overall I've been pretty pleased with them.  My current dilemma is that my 15cm porridger pot just isn't wide enough for the size and thickness of the luminaries that I want to do, so I kept getting lumpy sides where I touched the sides of the pot with the balloon. Frustrating!  These are the photos from the first lot since the last update, I adore their sunshine-like color, not thrilled about my attempt to embed this time though as I placed it too low on the luminary itself.  Otherwise I think they don't look too bad aside from that lumpy texture I was talking about.

This is a photo of the two of them cooling and setting on the balloons.





So for my 2nd lot of luminaries I decided to have a go at making smaller ones, thus avoiding the sides of the pot.  Problem is I will now have to test these to see if they're TOO small and thus unsafe to use.  They however are very lovely and have a nice smooth finish to them...other than the one with the forget-me-not flowers on the far right as I didn't dip the final coat fast enough and got too thick of a layer of wax over the flowers, and I also got too low on the amount of wax I had for dipping - annoying!  I will definitely have to invest in a deeper pot.  But the other two I'm very pleased with!

Here they are setting and cooling


 Final product

My deep pot should be showing up in the next day or two so watch this space and see how I get on with it.

***edited to add***

Photos of one lit :)





No comments:

Post a Comment