Wednesday 20 March 2013

More testing

This time with some container votives that I made last weekend.

These ones were quite a pain to make in the end, as although they seemed to pour very well and did everything as I normally did, they had some horrible cracking and wet spots all over - completely unlike the green container votives I did previously.  I can only presume that it's down to the different scents, but more testing will be required and will have to do this setup again.

To try and solve it I remelted the top using a heat gun and tried to get some of the air bubbles trapped in it that were causing the cracks, but never did solve the wetspots on the sides, heating the sides of the container did melt the wax, but it did not reharden in a smooth fashion so gave it up for lost this time.

I made two of these container votives, using 145g of soy XL wax, minute amounts of red dye to create this baby pink shade (far less than half a gram), and 8% or 10g of Water Lily scent from Sensory Perfection that I got for free with my order.  Usual setup of heating to 84C, scent added at 82C, and pouring at 65C into heated containers, wicking one with CSN 14 and one with CSN 16 to see which burns best.

I'm completely thrilled with the strength of the cold scent from these candles, and so far the hot throw from these is really excellent, filling the small room that it's being tested in, despite the door being wide open.  So needless to say I'll be reordering this waterlily scent to test again and see if I can't solve the cracking & wet spots mystery.

Created my wick holders from ice cream lolly sticks, measuring the exact middle of the stick and drilling small holes into them. Seem to work really well, though need to work harder on getting those sustainers to stick properly. I'll be ordering a glue gun & hot glue soon.

Test burning, don't mind the towel, it's further away than it looks, and it's keeping the draft from the window from blowing the flame around.


No comments:

Post a Comment