Sunday 10 March 2013

Now that I've gotten started...

Why not start a few more?  I got a bit of bonus time today so decided to have a go at votive-sized container candles as I felt the ECO6 wicks I bought would be a good size for these.  If not I'll try one of the others I've got.  Anyway, the whole process went better than yesterday I think.  The color still isn't quite what I was aiming for, a lighter shade of green would've been nice, but the scent is so much better than the last batch.

So this time round I've got 2 votive holders which I'm using as containers, about 137g of wax, 12g of Dewberry from Scent Perfique, and less than .5g of green soy color.  I followed the same process as yesterday for heating, scenting and cooling, except I added the color chips after the initial wax had melted, to better gauge how much color I needed.  I also stirred in the scent for 4 minutes rather than 2, and this seemed to help it bind better...or it's just coincidence, I'll have to test that theory some more.


I had to get creative in holding the wicks upright as I thought my clothes pins would do the trick but they're simply not long enough to bridge the width of the containers, so moved to this rather unorthadox setup.  I'll create something a bit more standard for the next time.


Overall I'm pleased with the first pour, I didn't really feel the need for a second as it seems level and smooth all across the top.  No sign of wet marks or mottling on the sides, so fingers crossed these turn out well.

I'll let these ones cure for about a week before testing.  Watch this space!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment