Monday 18 March 2013

Some more votives

These were a bit of a challenge this time around, suppose it's good for me to have candles do this every now and again, so I can examine what went wrong.

I did everything as I normally do, heated the wax to 84C, cooled to 82 before adding Apple Blossom scent from Sensory Perfection, then pouring at 65C into heated votive molds.

As things cooled, that's where things started to go wrong.  I got cracking all over the tops of both my votives, it looked awful!  I thought well I'll put on a 2nd pour like I normally do for my votives and see if that sorts it out.  But no, they cracked through that as well.  So I took the heat gun to them and that finally seems to have sorted them out for the most part.

Only one thing I did differently this time was not grease the molds, thinking they'd had enough use that I shouldn't have to at this point.  I was wrong wrong wrong!  These little buggers were super hard to get out of their molds, I had to pop them into the freezer for a bit before I could slide them out, risking yet more cracking.  Thankfully they did not crack further and the repair work I'd done managed to last.

1st pour

2nd pour



Final product:  some ideas for how I might present them.  I'm so much happier with the color of these compared to the other 2 green types I've done.






3 comments:

  1. These look so lovely and make me think of springtime. Well done!
    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly have an eye for displaying the candles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't come naturally, believe me. Lots of practice, moving things around, lots of restarts and plenty of pictures. :)

      Delete